Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

New regulations mean foreigners are excluded from public schools in Taiwan

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Re: New regulations mean foreigners are excluded from public schools in Taiwan

Postby Abacus » 14 Jul 2016, 09:52

You should have no problems registering your child (elementary) once you establish residency. The parents on the board will know more about how soon you can get them into schools but Liam's issue is with kindergarten (a 3 year program like a combined preschool and kindergarten program from the states). Taiwan doesn't fully fund public kindergartens for all students and there are only enough spaces for a small amount (did someone say 20%?) of students.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby headhonchoII » 14 Jul 2016, 10:36

It would be best to change the title of this thread which is very misleading to newbies, there are no new regulations which exclude foreigners from public schools in Taiwan.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Rocket » 14 Jul 2016, 11:20

headhonchoII wrote:It would be best to change the title of this thread which is very misleading to newbies, there are no new regulations which exclude foreigners from public schools in Taiwan.

Indeed :thumbsup:
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby Mr He » 14 Jul 2016, 15:33

Yes, change the thread. I have no less than 4 children in Taiwan schools - 2 of them left Taiwan later though.

Getting in was not an issue, apart from junior high, where my former wife screwed up.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Icon » 14 Jul 2016, 15:46

So the title should be:

Getting your kids into public kindergarten in Taiwan is Mission Impossible?

It is hard to get kids in public kindergarten both for locals and foreigners

Cheap kindergarten? In your dreams!
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby agneslow » 19 Jul 2016, 17:04

I'm so sorry! i didn't realise there are more pages to the thread. thanks for the clarifications...
agneslow
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Liam Og » 26 Jul 2016, 16:29

Hi Agnes,

Just saw your post. Actually we did not get any chance to enter the lottery for a public place. However we did find what seems to be an ok and cheap private kindergarten in a little community in the hills near where we live. If you want the details of the school just pm me.

agneslow wrote:
Liam Og wrote:
Icon wrote: please help us establish a precedent for future reference.

Guess we will just wait and see if there actually are any spaces left in any public schools next week, and if there is we will apply and see if we get another round of foreigner crap. If we do Ill probably have a rant and call it a day. The game isn't worth the candle if you have to fight for a school to take your child. Because after you 'win' you then hand your child into the care of a school that you have just alienated. I'd rather have a clear start where we aren't starting out as those troublesome outsiders on the very first day.

Hi Liam,

We will be in Taipei in Nov with one of our children at the age to start elementary school so I am very interested to hear what happened - did you finally manage to register your child?

Cheers
Agnes
Liam Og
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 02 Apr 2009

Postby headhonchoII » 26 Jul 2016, 17:42

To the OP and fellow stubborn Irishman.
Please change thread title to something more reasonable.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Liam Og » 26 Jul 2016, 18:45

I honestly don't know how to change it. Maybe a moderator could change the word "schools" to "kindergartens" in the title?
headhonchoII wrote:To the OP and fellow stubborn Irishman.
Please change thread title to something more reasonable.
Liam Og

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Liam Og » 26 Jul 2016, 18:47

The title that icon suggested also sounds fine to me
Liam Og

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Parenting