Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

How to receive my credit card from overseas

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

How to receive my credit card from overseas

Postby Ibis2k12 » 05 Jun 2016, 00:29

My VISA credit card has expired and my bank already sent my parents the new one.
Does anyone have experience in receiving such thing from abroad? Is there some particular shipping company you'd suggest?
We're currently planning to use DHL, they have a service for shipping envelopes that is supposed to be fairly good.
My picture gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
My random blog about cycling, photography and stuff. Mostly stuff.
https://randomibis.wordpress.com/
Ibis2k12
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 14 Aug 2012

Re: How to receive my credit card from overseas

Postby best_intentions » 06 Jun 2016, 09:42

Normally my parents will send me important letters via the USPS Priority flat rate letter envelope if it is time sensitive. But certainly if DHL or FEDEX has a lower price both should work well.
best_intentions
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby taiwandon » 06 Jun 2016, 15:58

Ibis2k12 wrote:My VISA credit card has expired and my bank already sent my parents the new one.
Does anyone have experience in receiving such thing from abroad? Is there some particular shipping company you'd suggest?
We're currently planning to use DHL, they have a service for shipping envelopes that is supposed to be fairly good.
best_intentions wrote:Normally my parents will send me important letters via the USPS Priority flat rate letter envelope if it is time sensitive. But certainly if DHL or FEDEX has a lower price both should work well.

use one of the three because if your parents drop it in the regular mail it will disappear. and fair warning never request it to be sent directly overseas. homeland security act says no and visa will say the same thing. :no-no:
taiwandon
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 19 Sep 1996

Postby nonredneck » 06 Jun 2016, 16:11

I've used Fedex envelope. No problems so far. Though I would delay activating it until you receive the card.
nonredneck
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby Ibis2k12 » 29 Jun 2016, 21:26

Just an update in case other people have similar needs and look for this same info.
My parents used UPS, the envelope arrived in Taiwan in less than 48 hours from Europe, then the local post office delivered it to us.
My picture gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
My random blog about cycling, photography and stuff. Mostly stuff.
https://randomibis.wordpress.com/
Ibis2k12

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 14 Aug 2012

Postby Doraemonster » 30 Jun 2016, 00:00

I used registered mail for this before. Took about a week. Have the card wrapped in aluminium foil if it's a contactless one. Best to send it unactivated but make sure it can be activated from abroad.
Doraemonster
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Location: Taibeishilisongshangaojigongnong Vocational High School

Postby dan2006 » 30 Jun 2016, 01:49

I know its probably not smart but i just get my family to toss it in regular mail, its always shown up without fail.

Even if someone stole it its not activated anyway and the crook would need to know your personal info to activate it anyway. But yes, courier or registered is the best.
dan2006
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Doraemonster » 30 Jun 2016, 11:00

dan2006 wrote:Even if someone stole it its not activated anyway and the crook would need to know your personal info to activate it anyway.

The risk is that someone will steal the number, hold on to it, let you activate the card and use it, and then make some online transactions possibly a couple of months later.
Doraemonster

Location: Taibeishilisongshangaojigongnong Vocational High School

Postby dan2006 » 30 Jun 2016, 12:00

Guess ive been lucky. Ive mailed money before a few times with no incident.

Card not present fraud transactions get reversed and again ive been lucky to never have had that happen.

My friends overseas have had their accounts cleaned out by card skimmers.
dan2006

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Where Can I Find...?