Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

From Digital Nomad to Real-Life Worker

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

From Digital Nomad to Real-Life Worker

Postby shrimp_crackers3 » 16 Jun 2016, 17:02

Hi All,

From 2013 to early 2015 I was doing the digital nomad thing. I was a good boy: always leaving the country before my 90 days were up, and filing taxes in my home country. But now I work at a big Taiwanese company, and a recent visit to the tax office might have me in trouble.

Here's the deal. In may I filed my taxes, and things went smoothly. In fact I have a nice sized refund on it's way.

Recently, however, I went to go get a tax certificate for my earnings in Taiwan and there were some problems. The tax office wanted me to declare my income in 2013-early 2015. I gave them some vague answers: cultural immersion, and freelancing for an overseas company. Now they say I have to come to the office with some proof of income.

1) How much income should I declare? I also have some savings, so I could say I was living off of them. Of course I don't want to lie/commit fraud but it's never a good idea to volunteer too much information to the authorities.

2) Potentially, what am I looking at for a fine?

3) Any other tips to mitigate the damage?
shrimp_crackers3
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: From Digital Nomad to Real-Life Worker

Postby randomphil » 19 Jun 2016, 17:02

If your country has a double-taxation agreement with Taiwan and you declared your taxes in your home country between 2013 and 2015, you should be able to get out of this by submitting the tax certificates from your home country.

In most cases, they just want to know you declared your income and paid taxes on it. (And even if they are looking to make $$$ from you, most double-taxation agreements will have some amount that you have to exceed before you can be taxed in the second country. Chances are you will be below that amount.)
randomphil
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

In Taiwan since: 0- 1-2014

Postby shrimp_crackers3 » 22 Jun 2016, 13:47

So for anyone that's in my situation it's a good idea not to listen to the guys in the tax office and make sure you have an accountant help you with this? Why? They denied that the under $1 million rule for foreign income exists, ignored any deductions, and treated it as code 50 which means salary (what about being self-employed), and hit me with a huge tax bill. They said I had an option for a 3 month deferral to which I said "OK" and left. They didn't offer to give me any official notice/letter saying what I owned and when I'd have to pay it. So... lol.
shrimp_crackers3

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Brendon » 22 Jun 2016, 22:46

I mean, I think they're right though, aren't they? You were living in Taiwan when you did the work, so you should have paid tax on it here. You could probably then have deducted that from tax you owed back home, depending where home is.

Freelancing for foreign companies is very easy to just not report, and thereby (illegally) evade local taxes, but now that you've told them about it ...
Brendon
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby shrimp_crackers3 » 23 Jun 2016, 11:00

Well the subject of if it's taxable in Taiwan is up for debate. However assuming for a moment that it is taxable then it would count as self employment, not salary, and would be subject to some big time deductions.
shrimp_crackers3

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby cfimages » 23 Jun 2016, 11:24

Freelance doesn't really exist in the Taiwan tax code, AFAIK. To be self-employed to the tax office's standards you need to be a registered business here.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby HenHaoChi » 23 Jun 2016, 11:41

I wondered what their tone was like when they were dealing with you, shrimp_crackers. Were they suspicious and probing, or did they just lazily stick you with a bill? Did it look like they saw this situation every day?
HenHaoChi

Postby shrimp_crackers3 » 23 Jun 2016, 11:54

HenHaoChi wrote:I wondered what their tone was like when they were dealing with you, shrimp_crackers. Were they suspicious and probing, or did they just lazily stick you with a bill? Did it look like they saw this situation every day?

They were somewhat familiar with digital nomads/remote workers. They weren't suspicious, and they were actually quite friendly trying to work towards a solution. They didn't offer any deductions, and refused to acknowledge the 1 million overseas income rule, but they did offer a few options such as saying I took care of my parents or showing other dependents.
shrimp_crackers3

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby HenHaoChi » 23 Jun 2016, 12:30

That's interesting. I have had the same experience with 98 percent of Taiwanese government employees. I guess you would be friendly towards someone you were about to hit with a large tax bill. But it's good to know they have seen this situation before.
HenHaoChi

Postby kelake » 23 Jun 2016, 13:44

Charging you income tax when your legal status is tourist. Thats new. I guess I owe the Thai government a small percentage for all those times I brought my laptop when visiting the kingdom.
--
kelake

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 1998

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Taxes