Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Radio on Samsung S7

Moderator: Mick

Radio on Samsung S7

Postby tango42 » 21 Jun 2016, 01:40

The new Samsung S7 has a radio tuner capability and uses headphones as an antenna to pick up local radio stations. It works like a regular radio and does not use data or Wi-Fi. Has anybody found an app to use this capability?

Note: Mine was purchased directly from Samsung store in Taipei.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Radio on Samsung S7

Postby SuperS54 » 21 Jun 2016, 10:26

tango42 wrote: Has anybody found an app to use this capability?

To use what capability?
SuperS54
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Iconoclast » 21 Jun 2016, 18:54

tango42 wrote:The new Samsung S7 has a radio tuner capability and uses headphones as an antenna to pick up local radio stations. It works like a regular radio and does not use data or Wi-Fi. Has anybody found an app to use this capability?

Hi Tango42. I didn't know the answer to your question off-hand, but it was easy to look up:

http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobil ... te-690893/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15627 ... update.htm

What amazes me is that this isn't a standard feature. It was in fact very common to have an FM radio receiver in old 2G phones. Why that feature has been eliminated from "smart" phones is something I don't get. My best guess is that maybe the manufacturers are trying to save battery life, though I doubt an FM radio would draw much power - way less than wifi I'm sure.
Iconoclast
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby tango42 » 22 Jun 2016, 08:47

SuperS54 wrote:

To use what capability?

To use the radio. The phone had the capability but no app included.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby tango42 » 22 Jun 2016, 08:49

Iconoclast wrote:
tango42 wrote:The new Samsung S7 has a radio tuner capability and uses headphones as an antenna to pick up local radio stations. It works like a regular radio and does not use data or Wi-Fi. Has anybody found an app to use this capability?

Hi Tango42. I didn't know the answer to your question off-hand, but it was easy to look up:

http://www.androidauthority.com/t-mobil ... te-690893/

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/15627 ... update.htm

What amazes me is that this isn't a standard feature. It was in fact very common to have an FM radio receiver in old 2G phones. Why that feature has been eliminated from "smart" phones is something I don't get. My best guess is that maybe the manufacturers are trying to save battery life, though I doubt an FM radio would draw much power - way less than wifi I'm sure.

Phone manufacturers deleted radio capability to push people towards buying music. Samsung is the first major company to add radio again.
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby SuperS54 » 22 Jun 2016, 09:55

tango42 wrote:
SuperS54 wrote:

To use what capability?

To use the radio. The phone had the capability but no app included.

http://nextradioapp.com/ google is your friend here
SuperS54

Postby Poagao » 22 Jun 2016, 10:31

Tried to download the NextRadio app but Google Play says "Your device isn't compatible with this version." I use a Samsung Galaxy S7, which obviously IS compatible, so I assume it's a problem with FarEasTone or Taiwanese carriers.
Poagao
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Tempo Gain » 22 Jun 2016, 11:59

Could it be an Android version issue, as well?

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby tango42 » 22 Jun 2016, 12:57

Poagao wrote:Tried to download the NextRadio app but Google Play says "Your device isn't compatible with this version." I use a Samsung Galaxy S7, which obviously IS compatible, so I assume it's a problem with FarEasTone or Taiwanese carriers.

Mine also says "Your device isn't compatible with this version.". Maybe Taiwan phones (bought mine at Samsung Taipei), don't yet have the latest version of android to utilize the capability?
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Poagao » 25 Jun 2016, 22:47

I just downloaded the latest Android...same message though.
Poagao
"Drinks for the House!"

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Technology