Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Am I eligible to work in Taiwan?

Moderator: John

Am I eligible to work in Taiwan?

Postby sme » 23 Jun 2016, 14:05

I'm having difficulty finding out the requirements for a work permit to work in Taiwan, so I thought I'd ask here. I am 26 years old, living in the US (am a US citizen). I graduated in December 2015 with a bachelors in Computer Science. I have worked as a web developer at my university since April 2014. After I graduated, I have continued to work at this job.

Assuming I get offered a salary of at least 40k TWD a month (I read there is a ~37k minimum requirement, is that true?), and the company has enough revenue or whatever, what would my chances be of having the application be successful? Do I need more post-graduate work experience, or is having work experience while in school sufficient? Or is work experience not even a criteria?

Thank you
sme
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Am I eligible to work in Taiwan?

Postby abovik » 25 Jun 2016, 23:37

It should be same as in U.S. As long as your company sponsors you to work. Your only problem is whether with your experience and background someone would hire you. Since you only have a bachelors degree, the salary might actually be lower than you expected here. I'm talking about local companies here, FYI. But aim high and see whether luck works for you negotiating.
abovik
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2008

Postby finley » 25 Jun 2016, 23:42

You need two years work experience, but frankly CS graduates are ten-a-penny in Taiwan. Unless you have some specific skill to offer, you'll be an office drone on minimum (foreigner) wage.

You might find Taiwan more enjoyable if you can find freelance work in the US that you can do remotely, and just do visa runs (either locally or back to the US). Another possibility would be to come on a student visa (say, for a MSc). The universities here are keen to attract international students and sometimes offer modest bursaries.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Naughtius » 27 Jun 2016, 13:32

There is a requirement of two years relevant work experience in order to be eligible for a white collar work visa. Also, that work experience needs to have been accumulated after you received your degree, so if you graduated in December 2015, you're still a bit short on experience.
Naughtius
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Yang Gui Zi » 05 Jul 2016, 10:55

Naughtius wrote:There is a requirement of two years relevant work experience in order to be eligible for a white collar work visa. Also, that work experience needs to have been accumulated after you received your degree, so if you graduated in December 2015, you're still a bit short on experience.

You may still be able to get an exception as I did. I showed proof that I was working the same job for several years before graduation and they eventually approved it. I arrived here about a month after I graduated in 2010.

Also, the minimum white collar salary for a foreigner at that time was 47,971 NT.
Yang Gui Zi

In Taiwan since: 09 Jul 2010

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Working in Taiwan