Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

SSD or RAM - to increase performance?

Moderator: Mick

SSD or RAM - to increase performance?

Postby Baas Babelaas » 23 Jun 2016, 17:42

I just bought an ASUS Zenbook .

Pretty sweet laptop, but a little slow. I have the choice of replacing the HDD with SSD or increasing the RAM from 4G to 8G, or both.

I'll do it one step at a time - which will increase the performance best: change to SSD or increase RAM?
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: SSD or RAM - to increase performance?

Postby Chris » 23 Jun 2016, 18:40

An SSD will greatly speed up boot and program launch times, plus since you just bought the computer, it will be a lot easier to change from an HDD to SSD now. Adding RAM is a simpler procedure, which you can do later.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Andrew0409 » 23 Jun 2016, 19:26

SSD will make your PC quicker, but ram will allowing you do more and keep the performance from dropping if you are running a bunch of programs.
Andrew0409
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Andrew0409 » 23 Jun 2016, 20:17

Like what are you wanting to increase performance for? Just everyday stuff or are you using 3 screens like I have at work something running like 5 programs at once with a bunch of things in the background? If it's just everyday, go with the ssd.
Andrew0409

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 23 Jun 2016, 20:48

I have heard about serious issues with sudden SSD failure. I don't have one myself, so I can't speak from personal experience. If you google "ssd failure" you'll find plenty of reports from those in the trenches. I guess it's still OK to buy one, but remember to back up frequently. That's not a bad idea anyway, no matter what type of drive you have in your computer. I've lost track of how many people have told me that they lost "everything" when their hard disk or ssd crashed and they had no backups.
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Dog's_Breakfast
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 23 Jun 2016, 21:05

Think I'm going to go with upping the RAM.
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Andrew0409 » 23 Jun 2016, 21:11

Baas Babelaas wrote:Think I'm going to go with upping the RAM.

Increasing RAM does absolutely nothing if you are only using like 2gb of ram when you are using your computer. Are you using your computer in a way that needs 8gbs of ram. I have 16, and I run 3 screens and rarely do I even get to 8gb. And SSD is way more reliable than HHD. Of course they can fail but the point of SSD is they are solid state, meaning they won't move around when you move around you CPU.
Andrew0409

Postby Chris » 23 Jun 2016, 21:14

Dog's_Breakfast wrote:I've lost track of how many people have told me that they lost "everything" when their hard disk or ssd crashed and they had no backups.

It's sheer madness not to back up your data. It's so easy to buy a high capacity external drive and back up your data. I also keep some of my most important files (generally projects I'm currently working on) in Dropbox.

Both SSDs and HDDs can fail. I've had one HDD fail in my life; I've never had an SSD fail on me.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 24 Jun 2016, 10:20

Andrew0409 wrote:
Baas Babelaas wrote:Think I'm going to go with upping the RAM.

Increasing RAM does absolutely nothing if you are only using like 2gb of ram when you are using your computer. Are you using your computer in a way that needs 8gbs of ram. I have 16, and I run 3 screens and rarely do I even get to 8gb. And SSD is way more reliable than HHD. Of course they can fail but the point of SSD is they are solid state, meaning they won't move around when you move around you CPU.

It is consistently using around 3.5-3.9G of RAM with very few programmes open.
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 24 Jun 2016, 11:14

Andrew0409 wrote:Like what are you wanting to increase performance for? Just everyday stuff or are you using 3 screens like I have at work something running like 5 programs at once with a bunch of things in the background? If it's just everyday, go with the ssd.

Do you mean that if you keep 5 screens open at the same time with corresponding programs then a higher RAM -say 8G- would help with performance?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Technology