Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

SSD or RAM - to increase performance?

Moderator: Mick

Re: SSD or RAM - to increase performance?

Postby Blaquesmith » 25 Jun 2016, 01:19

Both. Less than 8 GB of RAM is not recommended if you have an SSD, the system will use swap, which will increase the failure probabilities. As for the SSD/HDD thing, with the SSD it will be faster, and in a laptop/tablet/moving computer, it makes total sense having something without moving parts. the likeliness of an HDD failing inside a laptop you move around often is higher than the SSD failure rate.
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Blaquesmith
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

In Taiwan since: 08 Aug 2012

Postby Baas Babelaas » 29 Jun 2016, 11:34

If I may be so bold as to ask -since I also have to replace my trusty ASUS since it went kaput- is this the 35K model? you know, the ultrathin, available in pearly colors? No internal DVD, must buy external though

That's the one!
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Icon » 29 Jun 2016, 12:26

Baas Babelaas wrote:
If I may be so bold as to ask -since I also have to replace my trusty ASUS since it went kaput- is this the 35K model? you know, the ultrathin, available in pearly colors? No internal DVD, must buy external though

That's the one!

Yah, I am getting pink.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby jesus80 » 30 Jun 2016, 10:35

I would not only upgrade the HW, but also remove the crapware. Computers, specially laptops, come with a lot of shit that runs in the background eating up your resources in the best of the cases. In the worst cases, these crappy applications crash and prompt stupid things.
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Baas Babelaas » 30 Jun 2016, 10:43

jesus80 wrote:I would not only upgrade the HW, but also remove the crapware. Computers, specially laptops, come with a lot of shit that runs in the background eating up your resources in the best of the cases. In the worst cases, these crappy applications crash and prompt stupid things.

It's being stripped of all the crapness. Initially the techy in the office put Win7 on, but when he took out the HDD and put in the SSD he put Win10 on (sounded excited that it has a touch screen). I won't be faffing with the screen.

Also, Windoze Office. That's it.

The rest I will install. Starting with an anti-virus. Is AVG still good? Or Avast? Anything better?
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby hansioux » 30 Jun 2016, 10:49

Baas Babelaas wrote:
It's being stripped of all the crapness.

The rest I will install. Starting with an anti-virus. Is AVG still good? Or Avast? Anything better?

you know I'm gonna say, and everyone's tired of my saying it, but I still have to say it... To strip off all of the crap, Linux. Best Anti-virus, Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... ture=amd64
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Doraemonster » 30 Jun 2016, 10:56

Baas Babelaas wrote:Starting with an anti-virus. Is AVG still good? Or Avast? Anything better?

This is a major resource hog. You can use https://www.virustotal.com/ whenever you need to check any suspicious files without installing one.
Doraemonster
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Location: Taibeishilisongshangaojigongnong Vocational High School

Postby Baas Babelaas » 30 Jun 2016, 12:53

Just got it back. Blazing fast!

Put AVG on for the meanwhile. The techy put a Chinese anti-virus I don't trust at all - 360. Will remove.
Baas Babelaas

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jesus80 » 30 Jun 2016, 13:19

Baas Babelaas wrote:Just got it back. Blazing fast!

Put AVG on for the meanwhile. The techy put a Chinese anti-virus I don't trust at all - 360. Will remove.

A couple of months ago I decided to go with the one that is built-in in windows10
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Icon » 30 Jun 2016, 14:40

Baas Babelaas wrote:Just got it back. Blazing fast!

Congrats. Enjoy!

Which Windows version are you using?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Technology