Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

AI now consistantly shoots down experienced fighter pilots in simulation

Moderator: Mick

AI now consistantly shoots down experienced fighter pilots in simulation

Postby hansioux » 29 Jun 2016, 11:17

It's not just Go or Counter Strike anymore. Now neural-network AIs really are getting close to being skynet...

http://www.popsci.com/ai-pilot-beats-ai ... SOC&dom=fb

A pilot A.I. developed by a doctoral graduate from the University of Cincinnati has shown that it can not only beat other A.I.s, but also a professional fighter pilot with decades of experience. In a series of flight combat simulations, the A.I. successfully evaded retired U.S. Air Force Colonel Gene "Geno" Lee, and shot him down every time. In a statement, Lee called it "the most aggressive, responsive, dynamic and credible A.I. I've seen to date."

And "Geno" is no slouch. He's a former Air Force Battle Manager and adversary tactics instructor. He's controlled or flown in thousands of air-to-air intercepts as mission commander or pilot. In short, the guy knows what he's doing. Plus he's been fighting A.I. opponents in flight simulators for decades.

Well, maybe not neural-network?

The secret to ALPHA's superhuman flying skills is a decision-making system called a genetic fuzzy tree, a subtype of fuzzy logic algorithms.

the A.I. can calculate the best maneuvers in a complex, dynamic environment, over 250 times faster than its human opponent can blink.

So I guess dogfights is a lot simpler than Go.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Re: AI now consistantly shoots down experienced fighter pilots in simulation

Postby Tempo Gain » 29 Jun 2016, 18:19

This is one of the reasons the US cut back F-22 orders so much. F-35 has a basically different mission, but will probably get similar treatment.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby M. Ando » 30 Jun 2016, 15:30

Popular science.... neural networks... sigh...

A pilot A.I. developed by a doctoral graduate from the University of Cincinnati has shown that it can not only beat other A.I.s, but also a professional fighter pilot with decades of experience.

The whole thing is about one specific situation, with fixed parameters (Plane, payload, radar, 4ai vs2ai or 4ai vs 1ai + 1human).
The retired Colonel gentleman is of course with Psibernetix Inc., the responsible company.
The CEO of which, is of course the above "doctoral graduate from the University of Cincinnati".

The interesting part seems to be about the ALPHA algorithm in combination with EVE (another Psibernetix product), am I smelling bacon?

gotta love the embedded clickbait style/prose and readers actually believing it....
M. Ando
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2011

Postby hansioux » 30 Jun 2016, 16:54

M. Ando wrote:
gotta love the embedded clickbait style/prose and readers actually believing it....

they already have the AF's funding, so unless they are trying to get foreign funding, do they really benefit from the publicity stunt?

http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/gene ... 000144.pdf

Their original journal paper on the project
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby M. Ando » 30 Jun 2016, 18:52

I was referring to popular science magazine, it is approximately two finger's breadth away from the lifestyle anus that is e.g. "the verge".
At least the letter readily admits to it product....

Yeah, I skipped through the pdf before. How do know if they have public funding?

Doubt they get public funding (if any, seed aside), two AF guys being co-authors means nothing. If anything, Psi inc might have been forced to pay em (their labs) for testing (using their names), also if this was funded by the AF they would have mentioned it in the "paper". Just try to read the last page -it's pure infomercial - designed to be copied and pasted into some government official's budget draft.

The whole exposure thing is definitely valuable to a company founded little over two years ago :)
M. Ando
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2011

Postby finley » 30 Jun 2016, 23:42

hansioux wrote:Now neural-network AIs really are getting close to being skynet...

If a machine - a terminator - can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too. :bow:

As for the above couple of posts, I would imagine it's not technically impossible. The machine has an advantage in that it is completely unaffected by G-forces, so it could easily out-manoeuvre a human. Also, humans learn skills as a palette of mix-n-match patterns, so a human pilot may actually be quite predictable. The 3D navigation part is undergraduate stuff.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Technology