Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Online Banking for International Transactions

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: Online Banking for International Transactions

Postby randomphil » 04 Jul 2016, 18:45

Bank of Taiwan has online international transfers. You need to go to the bank to fill in plenty of forms and make sure you set the limits high enough, especially for non-designated accounts (since you don't know your EU account details yet).

I am not sure they have an English interface, so make sure they explain everything to you and you take photos. Also, you might need to take a USB card reader with you to use the system later.
randomphil
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

In Taiwan since: 0- 1-2014

Postby deeisenberg » 04 Jul 2016, 22:54

randomphil wrote:Bank of Taiwan has online international transfers. You need to go to the bank to fill in plenty of forms and make sure you set the limits high enough, especially for non-designated accounts (since you don't know your EU account details yet).

I am not sure they have an English interface, so make sure they explain everything to you and you take photos. Also, you might need to take a USB card reader with you to use the system later.

I went to Bank of Taiwan today and they said that I couldn't do it unless I designated the account before leaving.
deeisenberg
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby randomphil » 05 Jul 2016, 06:39

deeisenberg wrote:I went to Bank of Taiwan today and they said that I couldn't do it unless I designated the account before leaving.

I know the application form has a field to specify limits for non-designated accounts. Seems like they don't let you do that for international transactions.

The alternative is to set everything up now, fill in the complete form except for the account number, and leave it with someone you absolutely trust so that that person fills in the number for you and hands it in to the bank once you know your new account details. (Or talk to the bank to see if you can mail in the form from your new location.)
randomphil
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

In Taiwan since: 0- 1-2014

Postby SuperS54 » 05 Jul 2016, 13:21

Andrew0409 wrote:
SuperS54 wrote:
Andrew0409 wrote:
Chris wrote:Taiwan... the country with the most backward banking practices in the developed world.

you haven't banked in China before than.... OMG

Found banking in China to be a breeze compared to Taiwan, account opening, credit card, all with no hassle what so ever. When I was living there I also opened an overseas HSBC account in HongKong which took about 15 mins. I opened a Taiwan HSBC account last week in order to transfer fee free to HongKong, the first visit no one there was able to open an account, after complaining on their website I was allocated an appointment to start the process, second visit took approximately 30mins including having my photograph taken, had to make a third appoint which lasted just over an hour, account should be approved in 7 days and I then have to visit the branch again to activate the account...this was for an HSBC premier account, have no idea how long a standard account would take!

Yeah you're in HK. When I say China, I mean everywhere else.

Have a BOC account in Beijing, an ICBC in Tianjin, a Farmers Union in Jilin, no hassle or issue with setting up and using any of them. Recently went back to ICBC as my resident visa has long expired, have a new passport and no longer live in China expecting a major issue and having to fill multiple forms before closing the account. No problem at all, updated my info, gave me a new credit card and had no problem allowing me to continue using the account and card even though I was no longer resident. A breeze compared to the BS Taiwanese banks come up with.
SuperS54
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Money