Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Problem buying tech from PCHome

Moderator: Mick

Problem buying tech from PCHome

Postby Blaquesmith » 07 Jul 2016, 11:17

So, I finally went through and asked my wife to help me buy the Surface Pro 4 from PCHome. We found a nice offer where you got the Type Cover plus an Office 365 license (in Chinese, though) only paying an additional 990NT$. This actually saves you 4000NT$ if you're going to get the Type Cover, and it gets you the Office license basically for free (I don't think I'll use it, since I normally work with LibreOffice, but my wife can get the license if she wants).

In any case, we bought it, and according to the website it gets delivered in under 6 hours. When they delivered the box at my wife's office and she opened it up... it turns out there were TWO Type covers inside, and NO Surface Pro 4 at all. According to the invoice that came with the package, there was a Surface and a Type Cover, and the box was sealed, but at some point, someone decided he'd swap a Surface by a cover.

My wife called PCHome's Customer care, and they said they would "look into it".

As of now, we know even less than Jon Snow does. And we're talking about a 59.880NT$ piece of hardware that vanished. :fume:
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Blaquesmith
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 08 Aug 2012

Re: Problem buying tech from PCHome

Postby Ricarte » 07 Jul 2016, 11:36

Wow! I never had this kind of problem with PChome.
The worst it happened was a product that came in the wrong size or color. In all cases, they accepted the return of the good.
I hope all goes well with you.
Ricarte
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 28 Apr 2008

Postby Dog's_Breakfast » 07 Jul 2016, 13:09

I've had mixed experiences with PCHome. Usually, all goes well: fast delivery, no defects in the product delivered, no reason to complain.

But then I've bought things that were just plain defective. Try to return them, and I can't get through to a real human being - phone calls to recorded messages, my emails seem like they're going to Mars. "Customer Service" is an oxymoron.

All things considered, I'd rather walk into a shop and purchase what I want from a living breathing body. It might be 10% cheaper on PCHome, but isn't worth the hassle. However, there are some things that you just can't find on the shelves at your local widget shop, so if you want it bad enough, just order online and hope for the best. If it goes badly, you can try for a refund, but don't be surprised if you just have to suck it up.

P.S. Ricarte: I love your avatar.

P.S. Blaquesmith: Microsoft...I'm convinced B.G. named the company after his penis.
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Dog's_Breakfast
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby Blaquesmith » 07 Jul 2016, 13:16

Apparently, they will pick the items back, but I don't know if they will send the right ones instead or they will issue a refund.

If they issue a refund, I believe that's the last thing we'll buy at PCHome. I'll go to BaDe Rd. To get it, even if they overcharge me.

What bothers me is that if you go to the Microsoft's website, all the recommended dealers are online stores. (Some of them, like Kuai3, happen to have physical shops as well). The problem of going into a physical shop is that they won't have the model you want.

I wanted the i7 / 16GB RAM / 256GB SSD model, and they seldom have those in the store. The most popular ones are the models with i5 and 8GB of RAM, and if they have an i7 model, it's usually the one with 512GB SSD (by the difference in price, I could get an external SSD with 1TB, or a couple of 256GB MicroSDs for storage).

Then it's go into a store, order the model, go back home, wait a couple of days, go back into the store, make the purchase, and go back home. You end up wasting a lot of time (sure, PCHome screwed up and I'll have to waste my time anyways, but it's not the most common occurrence).
Blaquesmith

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Blaquesmith » 12 Jul 2016, 09:52

In the end the problem was solved. They picked the faulty delivery, brought it to their HQ, and delivered the right product. The keyboard stickers weren't right (it said it was the Type Cover WITH fingerprint ID, but it wasn't), but it was the cover I requested anyways, so no problem there. Took some time to figure out how the keyboard function key worked (it's kind of a Caps Lock key, not a Shift key), but I managed to do it in the end. The touchpad took some time to get used to but it's really sensitive and very precise.

It is by far the snappiest Windows 10 experience I've had, specially when I disabled all the privacy-endangering options. I can't get Cortana in my language anyways, and even if I did, she'd keep using Bing for searches, so I disabled her.

I'm really happy with the Surface, and I expanded the storage with the 128GB MicroSSDXC I had in my phone (it will suffice until I get an ultra fast 256GB one, which will still be much cheaper than getting the 512GB Surface).
Blaquesmith

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ricarte » 12 Jul 2016, 11:30

Glad to hear it all worked fine for you, Blaquesmith.
Considering there was a typhoon and weekend in between the problem and the solution, it didn't take long.
Ricarte

In Taiwan since: 28 Apr 2008

Postby SuperS54 » 12 Jul 2016, 12:35

Dog's_Breakfast wrote:Try to return them, and I can't get through to a real human being - phone calls to recorded messages, my emails seem like they're going to Mars. "Customer Service" is an oxymoron.

If you're talking about http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/ you don't need to talk to anyone to make a return. Log onto the site, go to the customer service center link, then the return link, you print out the cover letter it spits out, stick it on the original carton and they'll come and collect and refund your credit card, couldn't be simpler. I've returned many items over the years with zero hassle.
SuperS54
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 12 Jul 2016, 13:26

disabled all the privacy-endangering options

How does one go about doing this?
Baas Babelaas
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby Doraemonster » 12 Jul 2016, 14:23

Baas Babelaas wrote:

I think this is a good summary of what can be done: https://fix10.isleaked.com/

But you can never be sure you disabled everything, plus it keeps updating itself all the time, and there is no setting to switch this off (non-corporate end-users are mandatory participants in the never-ending test program), and any new or changed privacy settings always default to on. So it's a Sisyphean task, and in the end futile.
Doraemonster
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Location: Taibeishilisongshangaojigongnong Vocational High School

Postby Blaquesmith » 12 Jul 2016, 16:20

Doraemonster wrote:
Baas Babelaas wrote:

I think this is a good summary of what can be done: https://fix10.isleaked.com/

But you can never be sure you disabled everything, plus it keeps updating itself all the time, and there is no setting to switch this off (non-corporate end-users are mandatory participants in the never-ending test program), and any new or changed privacy settings always default to on. So it's a Sisyphean task, and in the end futile.

There are a few tricks regarding the updates: http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to- ... g-updates/

The metered connection one is pretty useful, but it only postpones the downloads, it doesn't cancel them.

In any case, for example, the privacy-snooping microphone and Cortana-related voice services are disabled automatically whenever you set a language which is not supported, or in a non-supported location. For example, I selected Taiwan as my main area, with English(UK) as the default language, but Catalan as preferred language for my apps. Windows told me that the specific combination wasn't supported by these voice recognition services in my area, and disabñed them (I actually couldn't activate them if I wanted to!).

It's kind of sad that we have to look through loopholes to find out how to do something that should be easy.
Blaquesmith

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Technology