Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Experiences hiring JS/CSS + other programmers in TW?

Moderator: John

Experiences hiring JS/CSS + other programmers in TW?

Postby HenHaoChi » 11 Jul 2016, 09:15

After 6 months of hard part time study I'm now a qualified poseurgrammer. I'm happy hiring junior Indians + Indonesians + Chinese to teach me, but then I thought it might be better to hire someone local, even though it's still remote pair work. I only do that a few hours a week.

I spend most of my study time on Codepen, but I host sites in Elixir/Phoenix.

Are CS graduates really a dime a dozen Taiwan? (No offence meant, i just read that somewhere, and I was surprised. I thought it was fairly easy for skilled programmers to find work, even freshly graduated juniors.)

What are your good and bad experiences hiring local Taiwanese? Anything I should be wary of? I know we gripe on Forumosa sometimes, but most Taiwanese I have worked with are conscientious and hard working, as long as they have a decent colleague.

Thanks if you have any ideas.
HenHaoChi
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Experiences hiring JS/CSS + other programmers in TW?

Postby flurbius » 12 Jul 2016, 21:30

Hi, Im an ex-programmer from Australia, I decided I needed a change - but now Im thinking I would like to get some freelance or part time programming. I have done a little bit of JS/CSS but have more experience with C#, Java, php and SQL.

From what I have heard (and it is total rumour) the jobs are here but they dont pay very well.
flurbius
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 08 Feb 2015

Re: Experiences hiring JS/CSS + other programmers in TW?

Postby HenHaoChi » 16 Jul 2016, 11:16

Thx for answering Flurbius. Yes, jobs here don't pay too well. The best model is to live in TW and work remote with European or US customers. You could charge customers less then western rates, and still make a decent living.

I have done a little bit of JS/CSS but have more experience with C#, Java, php and SQL.

Don't have any direct use for those languages right now, but that might come up over the next year. I started the thread to get an idea of prices for remote programers who live in Taipei if I wanted to hire locally part time.

If anyone wanted to start working remote right now, Upwork is OK as a start. There are some clowns on there, but you can still find good people if you keep your wits about you. You would be competing with lots of low-priced developing world programmers, but you can differentiate yourself just by being punctual, professional and honest. If Upwork was too flaky for an experienced programmer, there are more and more remote jobs on Stack Overflow every day. Or Toptal if you're good enough...
HenHaoChi

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Working in Taiwan