Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Technology and estimated costs

Moderator: Mick

Technology and estimated costs

Postby meldrew » 13 Jul 2016, 01:36

Hello!

I'm wondering if you lovely people could answer these questions for me?

Is fast speed internet (fibre optic?) in TW comparable to the west? How much would you typically pay per month?

How much would a 4G sim card with a decent data allowance (2 gig to unlimited per month) cost per month? I saw the post a few lines down about unlimited data being about 800-1000 per month. what about 1-5 gig?

Do you use a Dish HD to get western TV channels (or an equivalent service)? How much does it cost per month?

Thanks in advance, I feel like I've been living under a rock for the last 3 years and I hope moving to TW will improve that!
meldrew
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Technology and estimated costs

Postby Blaquesmith » 13 Jul 2016, 10:57

I recently got hooked up with Zhonghua Telecom cable internet, I pay about 800NT$/month for just the internet service, and I get quite high speeds. I was recently downloading from Torrent at 6MB (that's MegaBytes, not megabits) per second. And before someone just jumps in, that was downloading some Linux DVD images, not any kind of pirated software. In any case, the connection is FAST.

At my former place we had some kind of crappy connection (also with Zhonghua Telecom) that wouldn't let me download or stream anything faster than 700-800 KB/s. I guess it all depends on how much you pay. 800NT$/month doesn't look as too much to me, I used to pay about double for less than half the speed before I came to Taiwan.
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Blaquesmith
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

In Taiwan since: 08 Aug 2012

Postby JustifiedAndAncient » 13 Jul 2016, 17:30

If you're after both fast internet and TV then you can get them together - Zhonghua Telecom operate an IPTV service called MOD, which offers a lot of western channels.

To give you an idea, I pay 690NT/month for 60/20Mbit FTTB and 200NT for a couple of the variety channel packages on MOD so there's a reasonable selection of things to watch. For me that's totally adequate, your needs and budget may vary.

Most locals get internet with their cable TV, but the internet is not quite as good as fibre and the TV is very specific to local tastes.
JustifiedAndAncient

Postby meldrew » 13 Jul 2016, 18:12

Thank you @Blaquesmith and @JustifiedAndAncient!!

I would be willing to pay more for faster and better services for sure. 800 for just internet seems fine as those speeds are great!

I would happily consider a package deal for internet and cable TV. the IPTV MOD package looks decent. Is the menu in English? I definitely would love some BBC and ITV channels and some sports. From what I can work out from the MOD website they have ELTA TV Sports channel and FOX Sports 3 (only 3, can anybody confirm this?) Do you know if they show live football games? English Premiership, Bundesliga, La Liga?

Not quite as good as fibre would be fine... compared to what I'm restricted with on 'the mainland' right now!

Has anybody tried Dish HD? Any other suggestions would be massively appreciated!
meldrew

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby JustifiedAndAncient » 14 Jul 2016, 13:32

Regarding MOD:

You can change the menu language to English, though a lot of the program guide will still be in Chinese.
Only Fox Sports 3 is available on this service. 1 and 2 are on cable.
There is a new ELTA football channel that broadcast Euro 2016 in its entirety, and appears it'll be used mainly for Champions League and Europa.
I think the only domestic football I've seen on there is Bundesliga (on Fox I guess?)

It appears this online service has English Prem rights starting this season: http://www.elevensports.tw/
JustifiedAndAncient

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Technology