Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

All the racial healing

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderator: Mick

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

All the racial healing

Postby rowland » 15 Jul 2016, 00:15

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/14/us/mo ... finds.html

Sixty-nine percent of Americans say race relations are generally bad, one of the highest levels of discord since the 1992 riots in Los Angeles during the Rodney King case, according to the latest New York Times/CBS News poll.

The poll, conducted from Friday, the day after the killing of five Dallas police officers, until Tuesday, found that six in 10 Americans say race relations were growing worse, up from 38 percent a year ago.

Racial discontent is at its highest point in the Obama presidency and at the same level as after the riots touched off by the 1992 acquittal of Los Angeles police officers charged in Mr. King’s beating.


Image
Big government is for those who can't handle freedom. Political correctness is for those who can't handle reality.

Gun-free zones are where the gun violence happens. Ban gun-free zones before many more get killed. Also, gun violence in Europe is as bad as in US, and getting worse.

The most bigoted people in the world insist that they are the most open-minded, the cruelest people in the world insist that they are the most compassionate, and the most illogical insist that they are the most logical.

Just because Al Gore says there's a planetary emergency doesn't mean there's a planetary emergency. And just because somebody says it's science doesn't mean it's science.
User avatar
rowland
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2510
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 07 Mar 2012, 04:37
Location: Taipei



Re: All the racial healing

Postby rowland » 20 Jul 2016, 21:29

`Nuther poll:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... bama-poll/

For the first time in his presidency, a majority of Americans believe race relations have gotten worse under President Obama.

Sixty percent of respondents in a Rasmussen poll released Tuesday said race relations have deteriorated under Mr. Obama, the highest mark since he was elected eight years ago. That number is up 18 points since 2014, when 42 percent said the relationship between the races had worsened.

Just 9 percent said race relations have gotten better under the first black president, and 28 percent said they have stayed about the same.


He's a real piece of light work.
Big government is for those who can't handle freedom. Political correctness is for those who can't handle reality.

Gun-free zones are where the gun violence happens. Ban gun-free zones before many more get killed. Also, gun violence in Europe is as bad as in US, and getting worse.

The most bigoted people in the world insist that they are the most open-minded, the cruelest people in the world insist that they are the most compassionate, and the most illogical insist that they are the most logical.

Just because Al Gore says there's a planetary emergency doesn't mean there's a planetary emergency. And just because somebody says it's science doesn't mean it's science.
User avatar
rowland
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2510
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 07 Mar 2012, 04:37
Location: Taipei



Re: All the racial healing

Postby Rocket » 20 Jul 2016, 21:34

When white people (including trolling turds, just for the record) hate and fear black people, it's racism.

When black people hate and fear white people, it's just paying attention.

:thumbsup:
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
User avatar
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: 24 Apr 2014, 12:07
Location: The Slippery Slope



Re: All the racial healing

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Jul 2016, 21:34

Just curious if there is any room in your echo chamber for cookies, curries, puppies, sunsets, hikes, comic books, coffee in the afternoon, or is it like an agenda driven single guest podcast running all day long on the interior speakers?
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 19980
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course



Re: All the racial healing

Postby Rocket » 20 Jul 2016, 21:43

Mucha Man wrote:Just curious if there is any room in your echo chamber for cookies, curries, puppies, sunsets, hikes, comic books, coffee in the afternoon, or is it like an agenda driven single guest podcast running all day long on the interior speakers?


Just spitballing here, but I bet it's not unlike the voices on non-stop repeat play inside the benighted skulls of dudes like David Berkowitz and Mark David Chapman
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
User avatar
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: 24 Apr 2014, 12:07
Location: The Slippery Slope



Re: All the racial healing

Postby Chris » 20 Jul 2016, 22:11

One factor is that Obama's presidency has caused racists to become totally apoplectic, and as such more emboldened and vocal. The amount of racism in the US hasn't changed; it has just become more visible. Obama has done nothing to fuel racism; it so happens that his dark skin enrages racists.

The other factor is the ubiquity of video technology, which has plainly exhibited police bias and brutality against black people. Remember, the LA riots all started from police brutality against an already subdued black man being caught on video, and despite the damning evidence, the cops were let go. And similar injustices, including unarmed black people being killed by cops, continues to happen, fueling people's passions. This has nothing to do with Obama.
User avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 16069
Joined: 08 Jun 2004, 15:51
Location: Taipei



Re: All the racial healing

Postby rowland » 21 Jul 2016, 05:57

Ah, Chris. Always handy with the convoluted effort to explain away the obvious and shift the blame. Steely Dan has nothing on you.
Big government is for those who can't handle freedom. Political correctness is for those who can't handle reality.

Gun-free zones are where the gun violence happens. Ban gun-free zones before many more get killed. Also, gun violence in Europe is as bad as in US, and getting worse.

The most bigoted people in the world insist that they are the most open-minded, the cruelest people in the world insist that they are the most compassionate, and the most illogical insist that they are the most logical.

Just because Al Gore says there's a planetary emergency doesn't mean there's a planetary emergency. And just because somebody says it's science doesn't mean it's science.
User avatar
rowland
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2510
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 07 Mar 2012, 04:37
Location: Taipei



Re: All the racial healing

Postby lostinasia » 21 Jul 2016, 08:52

Dudes, it's obvious! It's totally Obama's fault that the OP has repeatedly used the phrase "mixed-race douchebag" to describe Obama on this forum. And if you think that's a shitty thing to write, well, that just proves YOU are the REAL racist! YOU are the one preventing racial healing! Goddamn PC SJW liberal racists stopping me from my god-given right to say "mixed-race douchebag"! How un-American! You racist freedom-haters you!!

***

Chris wrote:One factor is that Obama's presidency has caused racists to become totally apoplectic, and as such more emboldened and vocal. The amount of racism in the US hasn't changed; it has just become more visible. Obama has done nothing to fuel racism; it so happens that his dark skin enrages racists.

Jamelle Boule had a piece about this in Slate recently:
In the national shouting match over racism, discrimination, and American policing that we’ve conducted since the tragedies in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Falcon Heights, Minnesota, and Dallas, one refrain stands out from all the others in its oily tendentiousness. Barack Obama has made the racial divide worse.

There’s a good chance you’ve heard this before. It sprouted up in the fever swamps of the right wing [AHEM!] after the president gave his sympathy to the family of Trayvon Martin in the wake of the teenager's death in 2012...

To blame Obama for discord—rather than the actual abuses and inequalities that drive the reaction—is a classic example of anti-anti-racism, wherein efforts to address and combat racial bias are reckoned a larger problem than the bias itself. And in the same way, Obama’s willingness to speak to and for black Americans as a black American marks him as the real racist, maligned for acknowledging the reality of racism. It’s a bizarro view of American life where racial discord is caused by speaking out about discrimination, not by discrimination itself.
User avatar
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2517
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 10:15
Location: Danshui. Not Tamsui. Never Tamsui.



Re: All the racial healing

Postby MikeN » 21 Jul 2016, 11:35

Chris wrote:One factor is that Obama's presidency has caused racists to become totally apoplectic, and as such more emboldened and vocal. The amount of racism in the US hasn't changed; it has just become more visible. Obama has done nothing to fuel racism; it so happens that his dark skin enrages racists.

The other factor is the ubiquity of video technology, which has plainly exhibited police bias and brutality against black people. Remember, the LA riots all started from police brutality against an already subdued black man being caught on video, and despite the damning evidence, the cops were let go. And similar injustices, including unarmed black people being killed by cops, continues to happen, fueling people's passions. This has nothing to do with Obama.

Oh, come on, before Obama you never saw posters of the President dressed as a witchdoctor, or with a bone through his nose, or sitting in a field of watermelons on the White House lawn. This proves Obama has increased racist feelings.
MikeN
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
 
Posts: 3550
Joined: 16 Nov 2003, 14:12



Re: All the racial healing

Postby Zhengzhou2010 » 22 Jul 2016, 03:47

lostinasia wrote:Dudes, it's obvious! It's totally Obama's fault that the OP has repeatedly used the phrase "mixed-race douchebag" to describe Obama on this forum. And if you think that's a shitty thing to write, well, that just proves YOU are the REAL racist! YOU are the one preventing racial healing! Goddamn PC SJW liberal racists stopping me from my god-given right to say "mixed-race douchebag"! How un-American! You racist freedom-haters you!!

***

Chris wrote:One factor is that Obama's presidency has caused racists to become totally apoplectic, and as such more emboldened and vocal. The amount of racism in the US hasn't changed; it has just become more visible. Obama has done nothing to fuel racism; it so happens that his dark skin enrages racists.

Jamelle Boule had a piece about this in Slate recently:
In the national shouting match over racism, discrimination, and American policing that we’ve conducted since the tragedies in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Falcon Heights, Minnesota, and Dallas, one refrain stands out from all the others in its oily tendentiousness. Barack Obama has made the racial divide worse.

There’s a good chance you’ve heard this before. It sprouted up in the fever swamps of the right wing [AHEM!] after the president gave his sympathy to the family of Trayvon Martin in the wake of the teenager's death in 2012...

To blame Obama for discord—rather than the actual abuses and inequalities that drive the reaction—is a classic example of anti-anti-racism, wherein efforts to address and combat racial bias are reckoned a larger problem than the bias itself. And in the same way, Obama’s willingness to speak to and for black Americans as a black American marks him as the real racist, maligned for acknowledging the reality of racism. It’s a bizarro view of American life where racial discord is caused by speaking out about discrimination, not by discrimination itself.


Sorry to go a bit on a tangent, but Jamelle Boule's comments strike me as equally appropriate to Taiwan. Whenever any Green speaks out about the bigotry and fascism that the KMT enacted on the BSR and in favor of WSR (and to line their own coffers), the Blues scream about how the Greens are fostering ethnic discord. As if the murder, massacres, martial law, bigotry and cultural myopia didn't cause it.
Zhengzhou2010
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 462
Joined: 21 Mar 2014, 23:26



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Return to International Politics



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests