Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

WCIF Tile grout

Discussions about how to find those things that are not immediately obvious

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Forum rules
1) Please search :pray: before posting. Note that you should also search content-relevant forums (like Food & Drink for those items, and not just WCIF). If there is a content-relevant forum, the thread should be there, not here.

2) Please append your request to an existing thread if you find a stale one, rather than starting a new one. :pray:

3) Please post separately :pray: for each search item, not one thread for "olives and sour cream". Two threads, one for each. This makes it much easier for the moderator to merge your thread with an existing one, if any.

Of course, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please do feel free to post, and we'll do our very best to help you find what you need. If you have any trouble using the search function or the forum, please don't hesitate to send a PM (private message) to the Where Can I find...? moderator asking for help. Happy posting!!! :rainbow:

WCIF Tile grout

Postby nonredneck » 18 Jul 2016, 20:35

BNQ hola does not seem to carry it.
nonredneck
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: WCIF Tile grout

Postby Pfeffersack » 19 Jul 2016, 21:57

My understanding is, that they do not use special grout but the tile glue instead..... At least that is what the local hardware shop told me. That's how I put my floor tiles and it worked.
Pfeffersack
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby shifty » 20 Jul 2016, 09:34

Pfeffersack wrote:My understanding is, that they do not use special grout but the tile glue instead..... At least that is what the local hardware shop told me. That's how I put my floor tiles and it worked.

that's true. it's a shit system but it's cheaper/faster and in Home repair in Taiwan that is all that matters.. however because they are both a Portland cement based product you can make your own. Mortar has more aggregate sand etc ... I'm pretty sure that you can find the exact recipe (ratio) online if you look. Every contract I've taken for repairs I've made my own and added things for water resistance clarity color ... it takes longer its more expensive but its done properly
What's long and hard on a forumosian?...
Grade 3.
shifty
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby nonredneck » 21 Jul 2016, 10:53

I'm looking for grout, the stuff that goes in-between the spaces in the tiles once they are laid down, not mortar. (See http://www.wikihow.com/Grout-a-Tile-Floor). The tiles have grout in-between them (I think it's grout, it's definitely not glue). But it's breaking apart and I need to put some new grout in-between the tiles.
nonredneck

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby shifty » 22 Jul 2016, 09:21

nonredneck wrote:I'm looking for grout, the stuff that goes in-between the spaces in the tiles once they are laid down, not mortar. (See http://www.wikihow.com/Grout-a-Tile-Floor). The tiles have grout in-between them (I think it's grout, it's definitely not glue). But it's breaking apart and I need to put some new grout in-between the tiles.

Mortar is what is used to glue them down.. grout goes in between both are portland cement products... the recipe is slightly different grout may have some additives for color or texture, but its base is the same as mortar... you can make your own, recipe easy to find online... however, If you feel you need to buy premixed..
https://world.taobao.com/item/521225510 ... eqM#detail
https://world.taobao.com/item/525734459 ... eqM#detail

cheers
Grade 3.
shifty

Slightly off-topic

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 23 Jul 2016, 22:25

As it looks like there are a few more keen DIYers on here, I've got a tile-related question.

I am thinking about putting a fake stone wall (文化石 in Chinese) in our living room. Does anyone know if I need to remove all of the paint and mess up the wall before I apply the tiles? I'm a bit worried that they won't stick without this step.

Thanks

PS: It's my own house so no need to worry about landlords getting upset etc.
Milkybar_Kid
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Re: Slightly off-topic

Postby shifty » 24 Jul 2016, 19:45

Milkybar_Kid wrote:As it looks like there are a few more keen DIYers on here, I've got a tile-related question.

I am thinking about putting a fake stone wall (文化石 in Chinese) in our living room. Does anyone know if I need to remove all of the paint and mess up the wall before I apply the tiles? I'm a bit worried that they won't stick without this step.

Thanks

PS: It's my own house so no need to worry about landlords getting upset etc.

jesus christ yes! So many things wrong with that question where to start?...
Because I'm a nice guy let me say this, saver yourself the headache AND eventual outcome and just hire a professional like me to do it . Because I'm a dick let me say this when I show up and see it half done and fucked up I'm going to charge you 30 % more than I would have at the start just to fix your fuck ups...

Yes you have to score the wall (remove paint etc) before you start..
Grade 3.
shifty

Re: Slightly off-topic

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 24 Jul 2016, 22:07

Because I'm a nice guy let me say this, saver yourself the headache AND eventual outcome and just hire a professional like me to do it.

Yes, but where's the fun in that? How am I going to learn anything that way?

I wonder if something like this is available in Taiwan?

I'm still mulling this over so haven't yet been to see what's on the market in Taiwan, however most of the interior stone walls I've seen in other people's houses look like they were done using individual cladding pieces with grout in between them (trying to stay on-topic here :lol: ). The system above would be much more convenient.
Milkybar_Kid

Postby shifty » 25 Jul 2016, 07:50

Yes those are available in Taiwan they come in sheets and are basically standard tile sized with a mesh backing.
Grade 3.
shifty

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Where Can I Find...?