Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Tour bus tragedy

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Tour bus tragedy

Postby Aikaili » 21 Jul 2016, 10:26

I noticed that my colleagues in the office haven't spoken about this tragedy like they usually do about other news. It seems strangely callous to me, and I can't help but wonder if it was because it was a Chinese tour group and almost like it was not on Taiwanese soil. I really don't understand why people aren't more outraged about safety conditions on buses especially since buses are a major part of our transportation system here. Perhaps they are and I have just missed it? I do see the reporting on the local news. I would like to hear about the safety regulations in place, and what will be done to enforce them.
Aikaili
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby afterspivak » 21 Jul 2016, 10:50

Stuff like this has happened (in various other forms) approximately one gazzilion times since I've arrived here. Perhaps your office mates are simply inured.

Safety culture here seems to be, well, not exactly fully developed. Every office I've worked in since I've arrived has had exactly ONE usable exit after hours (evenings and weekend, when many of us are here working). Other potential exits are bolted shut, sometimes with bars across. I am surrounded by people with PhDs, many of which were earned overseas. I have yet to meet a single Taiwanese that thinks this dangerous set-up is objectionable.

On the other hand, if there is an identifiable villain in one of these horrible events, and if the media picks up on it, well, watch the pitch forks fly for a while. Then it's back to business as usual.

Guy
afterspivak
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby Icon » 21 Jul 2016, 11:27

I think many people just have given up. For example, there has been some speculations as to whether the exit door was locked. This is supposedly to prevent thefts on board when the bus is parked. That practice, as I said before, had been identified in SEVERAl other accidents and supposedly it is one of the firts things in the official revisions.

I also remember several accidents where someone has leaned on the exit door, it gave way... person ended up falling in the middle of the road.

Tommy mentioned the Greyhound buses that have windows that can be opened. They were showing last night the old GuoKuang Hao buses -old grey and blue ones, ususally on airport route, made in the US BTW- that have this feature. Why don't all buses do? Well, because children might accidentally open the window and fall off. Also, people complained about the noise and dirt and smog getting in. So sealed windows it is.

However, the sealed windows have also safety features, like the hammers or can be pushed out.

The double decker height buses offer better views, but as seen, make it difficult for someone from the outside to break the windows to save lives.

Most bus lines have a video to show people how to escape the bus in case of fire. However, ther have been complaints to the tour guides, as to why to show that, it would scare people away, no one does that.

Talking about scaring people away, there was already talk on the news that "that section of the road is haaunted", because "it seems that in that area horrible acidents happen, the ones that end up win decapitation, dismemberment, burning etc"...like the famous half faced accident victim -they swear they saw the victim standing by the side of the car while they tried to retrieve the missing body parts trapped inside the vehicle. Eh, maybe something about the road design instead?

Which goes back to what was mentioned that safety practices overall, especially at workplaces and such, are quite defficient. I have told you about the window washers on the 15th floor without safety lines and walking barefoot while operating electric equipment. On a government building. Remember the SA workers who fell off the Taoyuan airport roof? And don't get me started on drills or basic safety standards. Crooked columns, faulty electric setups, explosions... not to mention the oassional angry people carrying flammables. heck, during the student occupation of the LY, we were on lokdown every day... yet no instructions were given as to what to do in case the students did try to get in while we were all working inside. Talking about accidents and bad thinsg that could happen is taboo. Sigh.

Etc. ad nauseum.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby yuli » 21 Jul 2016, 11:34

Charlie Jack wrote:maybe I got it completely wrong

You got it right, I'd say... :)

schwarzwald wrote:
Deputy Director-General Huang Yun-kui (黃運貴) of the Directorate General of Highways said Wednesday that the bus, which like most tour buses was an assembled vehicle built by adding locally sourced parts to an imported chassis, had been "sufficiently safe from a legal perspective."
"It's an open secret that some companies remove unqualified parts before inspections" and reinstall them afterward, Lin said.

...because "unqualified parts" can easily cause problems (such as overloading the electric system, etc.)

When you think it through (Icon's last post points in the very same direction), most accidents come down to human error: metal frames, tires, electric circuits, etc., act and react according to the non-negotiable laws of physics (nature), but people believe they have supernatural powers that allow them to cut corners...

:idunno:
Peanuts IT Service:
Hosting resources in several countries for small projects (use your own domain or one that I prepare). Cheap web and mail hosting ($0.50/mo); short or long term. FTP access and control panel. Cheap domain names ($8-12/year). Manage your own site/ mailboxes or have me do it. It's never been easier to get your own mail address or website. :-)
yuli
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby tommy525 » 21 Jul 2016, 12:27

Yes Icon thats what I meant, those old Kuo kwang buses were MCI, made in USA buses. And i rode them and they had openable windows. What do they use now?

Some wild chicken buses in those days were made in europe Benz 0303 and Volvo and Scania. Later they started using imported chassis and building bus bodies in Taiwan. Which is fine. Let's just NOT forget emergency escapes on all sides so that a burning bus can be evacuated quickly. Bus fires are not uncommon. Mostly related to engines catching on fire. But now apparently other things like entertainment systems can overheat and catch on fire.
Have they found out what caused this blaze?
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby abovik » 21 Jul 2016, 13:00

Aikaili wrote:I noticed that my colleagues in the office haven't spoken about this tragedy like they usually do about other news. It seems strangely callous to me, and I can't help but wonder if it was because it was a Chinese tour group and almost like it was not on Taiwanese soil. I really don't understand why people aren't more outraged about safety conditions on buses especially since buses are a major part of our transportation system here. Perhaps they are and I have just missed it? I do see the reporting on the local news. I would like to hear about the safety regulations in place, and what will be done to enforce them.

Nah, it's like why they don't give a damn regarding drunk driving. We had two within this past two weeks. If it doesn't hurt their individual benefits/rights personally, be assured these keep repeating. Why this country doesn't improve, some people mentioned, is the mindset; not the government, the media, China, 22K. And I totally agree, seeing how idiotic things like these keep repeating.
abovik
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2008

Postby Icon » 21 Jul 2016, 14:34

BTW, as in the usual "face saving" scramble that happens every time something happens, there is a long line of tour buses at the equivalent of DMV. The task at hand? To paste EMERGENCY EXIT on the outside of the buses -that we have seen. I hope they follow as well with other better marking inside, I guess. Light/fluorescent strips like the ones used in planes, for those times the smoke is too thick to see where you are going, might be helpful too.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby nonredneck » 21 Jul 2016, 14:47

Icon wrote:. The task at hand? To paste EMERGENCY EXIT on the outside of the buses -that we have seen. I hope they follow as well with other better marking inside, I guess. Light/fluorescent strips like the ones used in planes, for those times the smoke is too thick to see where you are going, might be helpful too.

Is the emergency exit still locked?
nonredneck
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby nonredneck » 21 Jul 2016, 14:56

Edit : Duplicate post.
nonredneck

Postby ShutUpLegs » 21 Jul 2016, 15:06

nonredneck wrote:
Icon wrote:. The task at hand? To paste EMERGENCY EXIT on the outside of the buses -that we have seen. I hope they follow as well with other better marking inside, I guess. Light/fluorescent strips like the ones used in planes, for those times the smoke is too thick to see where you are going, might be helpful too.

Is the emergency exit still locked?

There isn't one, they're just adding the sticker.
ShutUpLegs
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan