Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Renting outside of Taipei

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Renting outside of Taipei

Postby meldrew » 25 Jul 2016, 23:16

How far would 10,000 NTD per month go outside of Taipei? I would be happy enough with a studio as long as it's a decent size... although a small 1 bedroom would be ideal.

Is it common for certain utilities to be included within the rental price? Water/gas/electricity/tv/internet?

Outside of rent and utilities are there typically hidden costs like a maintence fee?

Cheers!
meldrew
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Renting outside of Taipei

Postby best_intentions » 26 Jul 2016, 09:35

Certainly something just across the river near MRT stations 10k NTD probably will not get you a building you want to live in. I moved from Taipei to New Taipei City (but I was looking for 2-3 bedroom) and most places I saw did not include water, gas or electricity. A few places included TV/Internet. Usually they add on the management fee on top of the rent but you might be able to negotiate that. (I'm lucky that I had people that helped me talk to the landlord as most don't speak english)

Buildings that are 30yrs+ in age normally don't have any management fee and rent is much cheaper due to no elevator / no security / no trash service.

I would use Google Chrome or some browser with "translation" function to search https://rent.591.com.tw to get a better idea. You can use the "map search" function to go to your preferred neighborhood on the map and then adjust the price to NT5000-10000 to see what is available. Lots of pictures and although the translation to English is a mess you can get an idea of what is included. I would guess that for something relatively close to a MRT, 10k places will be very small, 30yrs+, probably a tiny fridge, and a hot plate.

(Back in 2003 rent for a large studio, with all appliances, in a security guard building with trash service in Tu-Cheng district was already about NT 8000-9000. This was way BEFORE the MRT opened up.)
best_intentions
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Icon » 26 Jul 2016, 10:41

Medium sized taofangs with utilities and Internet and cable included for 8k can still be found in Xindian. That leaves you 2k for transportation and other accroutements. And I mean a stone's throw away from the MRT. 10k can still get you a house in the hills of Xindian...long commute though.

Most studios do include utilities. If not, insist on a separate meter. Otherwise, the charges will balloon up.

Maintenance fee is never hidden, and most of the time well worth it. Search "throwing out the garbage". usually, if you pay a fee that means you get an elevator, some common area access, someone to pick up your mail and packahges, someone to take care of your garbage and recyclables.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Parcival » 26 Jul 2016, 11:33

best_intentions wrote: 10k NTD probably will not get you a building you want to live in.

Most definitely! Even if you are an "adventurer" on a budget such facilities are not for human consumption. A reasonable apartment in or around Taipei (this means good location, well insulated, without must, smell, noise and critters etc.) is going to cost multiples of the said budget. Why on earth would you do this to yourself? Go further south like Vietnam, Malaysia or Indonesia - at least there you won't freeze your ass off during winter times.
Parcival
I'll be at 99 Ranch Market (wǒ jiāng huì zài dà huá chāo shì)

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 2014

Re: Renting in other cities

Postby meldrew » 27 Jul 2016, 02:24

Ah, I'm sorry guys.... worded the the whole post poorly last night! I meant renting in cities like Kaohsiung, Taichung, Taoyuan, Tainan and even Hsinchu. Not, literally outside of Taipei. Just after general information about other cities.

I'm most interested in Kaohsiung. How would 10k do there?

But nonetheless, some great information! I'll be checking out the that link tomorrow. I'm currently living in the oven that is Guangzhou, can't remember the last time time I froze my ass off, might be a nice change :D
meldrew

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby the bear » 27 Jul 2016, 08:07

I lived near the Hsinchu City/County border once. In a residential area where too many apartments were built in anticipation of science park expansion that didn't happen. I had a 4bdr/2 floor apartment for 10,000. Heaps of similar deals around there. Apartments sell for 1 million and many stand empty.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

Postby headhonchoII » 27 Jul 2016, 08:26

Is that zhunan or zhubei? Zhunan has a lot of nice new buildings. I'm jealous.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Re: Renting in other cities

Postby headhonchoII » 27 Jul 2016, 08:28

meldrew wrote:Ah, I'm sorry guys.... worded the the whole post poorly last night! I meant renting in cities like Kaohsiung, Taichung, Taoyuan, Tainan and even Hsinchu. Not, literally outside of Taipei. Just after general information about other cities.

I'm most interested in Kaohsiung. How would 10k do there?

But nonetheless, some great information! I'll be checking out the that link tomorrow. I'm currently living in the oven that is Guangzhou, can't remember the last time time I froze my ass off, might be a nice change :D

I'm guessing Guangzhou weather is quite similar to much of Taiwan (central and south). The north is a lot rainier and greyer in winter.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby RickRooney » 28 Jul 2016, 11:44

the weather is probably identical here.
RickRooney
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby tom1807 » 29 Jul 2016, 14:33

Keelung (Jilong). More humid, some say more rain than Taipei (still waiting for the proof) and I rent a single house for 9k, initially 7k.
Water bill every 2 months around 150 NTD, Power every 2 months between 2.5k and 5k (really depends how much I use it).
Found also on 591.
tom1807
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

In Taiwan since: 13 May 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Living in Taiwan