Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Saving the Mac: how to tell if it is on or off

Moderator: Mick

Saving the Mac: how to tell if it is on or off

Postby Icon » 27 Jul 2016, 17:45

So, at the office we have this 300k, all powerful state of the art Macintosh we use for "art", like page design, editing, etc. It does a lot of stuff but we use about 1% of its capacity since, well, we do not know how to use the other stuff and anyways we barely have time to do what we have to with it and that's it.

Problem is that it is so beautiful, elegant, minimal... you never know if it is on or off. While the PC sounds like the last chopper pulling out of Nam, this baby is silent, too silent. Deadly silent like a Gogoro doing 90 in a small one way alley.

There is this tiny pinprick of a light to know it is on. That's it. If it is asleep, moving the mouse will not wake her up immediately, you gotta wait.

Anyways, my question is if I can rig a lamp or a bulb or some kind of alarm, to alert me the thing has been on since last week, over the weekend, and if I forget today, it will be on until next Thursday... next leap year.

Moreover, as it is a weekly occurence that a computer explodes here, if that thing goes, I'll have a heart attack. First of all, because we are close. I feel for her. But most importantly because she is vital to our job and so expensive it cannot be replaced immediately.

Any ideas?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Saving the Mac: how to tell if it is on or off

Postby Rocket » 27 Jul 2016, 18:06

Before or after you mix in the cheese powder??
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby jesus80 » 27 Jul 2016, 19:54

WTF are you talking about? a 300k NT Mac... for what? what can it do that a 25k NT PC doesn't?
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby finley » 27 Jul 2016, 21:19

jesus80 wrote:WTF are you talking about? a 300k NT Mac... for what? what can it do that a 25k NT PC doesn't?

I guess what she means is that the budget for it was 300k :wink: 100k was spent on the Mac and the software, and 200k on .. um, other stuff.

Short answer to the question is "no", but I wouldn't worry about it. Those things are really miserly with power in standby mode. In fact it's probably sucking out your lifeforce and pushing energy back into the grid.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby yyy » 27 Jul 2016, 22:56

Icon wrote:Any ideas?

Just one: I hope someday you write a novel set largely in Taiwanese offices. :)
yyy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 27 Jul 2016, 23:55

It'll last longer if you keep it running 24/7.
I have a laptop here running for almost 10 years now 24/7 and it won't give up.
The laptop is a 450 mghz asus and I bought it second hand.
Hamletintaiwan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby Icon » 28 Jul 2016, 09:15

jesus80 wrote:WTF are you talking about? a 300k NT Mac... for what? what can it do that a 25k NT PC doesn't?

To answer that question, we'd have to set up a course on magazine and book pusblishing in Taiwan...

Short answer: things look prettier. As far as the ol country, people in the know of design, editing, photography, etc. used a Mac and here, they keep using it. There might be a technical advantage but most importantly, our people work with that software.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby super_lucky » 28 Jul 2016, 10:38

The direct answer to your question is technically yes. There is at least one way via iCal in which you could set the computer to turn off at, say, 7:00 p.m. every Friday. You'd be assuming some risk by messing with that, FWIW. Additionally, there are a range of other toggles and whatnot in Settings and Preferences in which you could achieve some sort of auto-pilot that shuts her down or puts her to sleep, etc. And I'm pretty sure you can set the screen saver to never fade out. [Personally, I wouldn't do any of that. More below.]

Moreover, the anti-geek way of creating a "lamp" or signal device would be to plug a external hard drive (or flash drive) into one of the USB slots - and just leave it there whether you're using it or not. Every XHD and flash I own has an indicator light. Now, the ports are of course on the back, so this creates a bit of extra effort you could avoid by going with the XHD, which requires a cable, and thus, you can set it out front. Light is on, computer is on. And vicey-versy. By the way, flash and XHDs don't suck much from the processor when idling.

As previously mentioned, most computers, but especially Macs are designed to run interminably. Powering up and down is considerably rougher on the components.

Hamletintaiwan wrote:It'll last longer if you keep it running 24/7.
I have a laptop here running for almost 10 years now 24/7 and it won't give up.
The laptop is a 450 mghz asus and I bought it second hand.

I, too, have had non-tube driven electronic devices last far beyond the standard usage threshold, which was mainly achieved by never turning them off except in extreme circumstance.

If you're worried about the ole girl blowing up from dodgy electricity, just make sure she's plugged into a surge protector and a power conditioner (I know, that's a bit much). From my experience, Apple is pretty good about self-preservation in that regard. Shit gets a little wild and she shuts herself down.

jesus80 wrote: WTF are you talking about? a 300k NT Mac... for what? what can it do that a 25k NT PC doesn't?

Another FWIW: A 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display, 4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz, 32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB Flash Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory, Magic Mouse 2 + Magic Trackpad 2,Magic Keyboard, etc., is almost US$5,000 out the door, tax and non-proprietary software not included. I would imagine Ms. Icon's company is balls-deep into some fancy publishing software you don't get from Microsoft Office - although that's not a knock on dem. Anyway, the point is, I could easily see dropping US$10k on the whole she-bang. :2cents:

So...lemme ask you. Does that NT$25k TW PC have the chutzpah to run Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Effect, InDesign and Lightroom? At the same time? Maybe, but good fuckin' luck with that. Meanwhile, let's say you're doing audio production. No way in hell I could manage Logic Pro (or equivalent) on a $800 PC. I would need at least $800 in monitors and speakers.

Anyway, I use the XHD method and I also never turn it off unless I'm going to be out of town for a week or longer - and sometimes I forget to do that.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Icon » 28 Jul 2016, 10:49

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. This is our crown jewel, our loveliest pet. I'd like to take better care of her.

Now, the second issue: they forced me to turn off and unplug/disconnect the surge protectror and power stabilizer backup thinghie. "It is not necessary", they said. If is noisy, it heats up. Our power setup set off its alarms, that is why it was noisy.

Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby jesus80 » 28 Jul 2016, 20:39

Super lucky, for running all that stuff at once, you just need RAM. A 50K NT PC is already more than enough for them, and the sw they use... I don't think that is NASA sw...
jesus80
"Drinks for the House!"

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Technology