Since I am still new to Taiwan I heavily rely on Navigation App to get around. With limited Chinese language skills asking for directions is not an option yet.
I mostly I used Google maps until now. But it does not have offline maps in Taiwan due to licensing issues of the map data. A data connection is required.
Recently a new redesigned free HERE WeGo App came out Video
and I gave it a try and boy it completely trashes Google Maps.Android
Here is what I like:
* Offline Maps (Taiwan ca. 380MB) - Navigate with out data connection!
* When navigating in a car it will show you the current speed limit! - speed signs are quite sparse in Taiwan compared to Europe, often I am not sure if the speed limit is 50, 60 or 70 when I drive outside of the city
* You can download and select navigation voices in various languages
* It will warn you when approaching a stationary speed trap
* When I choose to avoid toll roads it will actually do it. Google fails hard on this.
Still need to test.
* public transport navigation
* moto and bicycle navigation