Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Caucasian teachers only.....?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Caucasian teachers only.....?

Postby Musicfan » 03 Aug 2004, 00:26

I've noticed this now and again, schools advertising for teachers that specify 'caucasians only' or 'Western looking' (whatever that is).
I don't want this to be an 'Is Taiwan racist?' debate but rather does anybody here work for those schools, and why would anyone respond to an ad that was basically racist in nature....?
Musicfan
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ac_dropout » 03 Aug 2004, 02:10

Well there are also ads for counter girls under the age of 30. Not counter guys in their 50's.

So you can add in sexist and age-ism as well.
ac_dropout
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Re: Caucasian teachers only.....?

Postby Satellite TV » 03 Aug 2004, 03:57

Musicfan wrote:I've noticed this now and again, schools advertising for teachers that specify 'caucasians only' or 'Western looking' (whatever that is).
I don't want this to be an 'Is Taiwan racist?' debate but rather does anybody here work for those schools, and why would anyone respond to an ad that was basically racist in nature....?

Nothing racist about that at all.... I got a government contract to teach that specified native caucasian speaker with ROC Nationality... sort of ruled out most of everybody else hehehehe...

People respond to these ads because they don't give a damn about what the ads say.. they are looking for work and an income. And who's to say that the work environment may not be a fun place to work. I worked for a school with an American owner that specified Caucasian with north American accent... but me being an Aussie he didn't notice the accent thingy
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Flicka » 03 Aug 2004, 08:02

Even the American Chamber of Commerce has set age limits on job ads for their office.

If you are Caucasion and starving and/or drowning in school debt, do you think you'll really care how fair the ad is?
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby Mother Theresa » 03 Aug 2004, 09:17

Of course it's racism. It's also clearly illegal under Taiwan law. Want a good laugh? Check out Article 7 of the ROC Constitution:

All citizens of the Republic of China, irrespective of sex, religion, ethnic origin, class, or party affiliation, shall be equal before the law.

http://www.concourt.am/wwconst/constit/ ... iwan-e.htm

Nice sentiment, but as with most laws in Taiwan, apparently it's not really meant to be observed. Taiwan also has a Gender Equality Labor Law, that I can't find a link to, but I'm sure it too is widely ignored. Other than the Constitution, I don't believe the Labor Law or any other law specifically prohibits other types of discrimination.

In the US, on the other hand, state and federal laws prohibit discrimination in employment or housing based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, physical or mental handicap, marital status, etc. and provide harsh penalties for violations.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby TomHill » 03 Aug 2004, 09:26

I also think those "American/Canadian accent preferred" advertisements are a tragedy. Where are the "Guttoral or nasal cockney accent required" adverts? London is sometimes thought of as a business centre too!
Eating fish.
TomHill
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Musicfan » 03 Aug 2004, 09:56

If you are Caucasion and starving and/or drowning in school debt, do you think you'll really care how fair the ad is?

Ah yes, all those starving caucasian graduates, makes my heart bleed....

My point is that there are many times on this forum where the Taiwanese have been criticised for being racist etc. and not as enlightened as 'the West', and often with some justification.

However some people think it's fine to perpetuate the problem, would you actually have a point where you would say enough is enough? Or as long as the money keeps coming, who cares....?[/code]
Musicfan
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

blonde hair/blue eys

Postby Matchstick_man » 03 Aug 2004, 11:01

I saw an ad for a teacher in a Taichung pub over ayear ago that specified for a blonde haired female with blue eyes. If they'd said brown maybe a lot of Taiwanese girls would have applied.
Matchstick_man
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby Matchstick_man » 03 Aug 2004, 11:01

Brown eyes that is:
Matchstick_man

Postby surfbunny » 04 Aug 2004, 21:36

When I was in Bangkok I saw ads that specified British, Australian or New Zealand accents only. Quite a few actually. Some of the jobs sounded quite awesome, was very tempted to move to a Country that loves my accent. But then my school likes my accent too, and I like my school, so I stayed here instead.
surfbunny
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan