Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Big Nose (ah-dok-ah?) in Taiwanese

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Big Nose (ah-dok-ah?) in Taiwanese

Postby Hartzell » 29 Dec 2004, 15:21

What is the correct romanization for the Taiwanese expression BIG NOSE?

Would "ah dok ah" be appropriate?

Is this considered polite?
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at rwh.midway@gmail.com
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
Hartzell
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Big Nose in Taiwanese

Postby Chris » 29 Dec 2004, 16:24

Hartzell wrote:What is the correct romanization for the Taiwanese expression BIG NOSE?

Would "ah dok ah" be appropriate?

Is this considered polite?

And you've lived in Taiwan how long, Richard? :)

I get different answers when I ask different people, and have heard different theories.

I've heard that it's 阿凸仔, pronounced "a tok a", but with the influence of Mandarin (which has no final stops), it sometimes ends up ends up sounding like "a to a". I've also seen it written "阿多仔", but this may be backformation.

I think the degree of politeness depends on how it's used. Kind of like "gringo" or "farang"; if it's said in a relaxed, friendle way, it's like "foreign friend", if it's said in an annoyed way it's like "foreign scum".
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby rice_t » 29 Dec 2004, 16:38

It depends which romanization system you use.

TLPA and Mary Knoll: a-tok-a
Taiyu Tongyong: a dok-a

Polite? Not really. Politer would be

TLPA and Mary Knoll: goa-kok-lang, goa-te-lang
Taiyu Tongyong: ghua-gok-lang, ghua-de-lang
Impeach Jason Hu!
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby miltownkid » 29 Dec 2004, 17:50

I just use adoa, but that's the miltown romanization.
Available for Daoist Wizarding - [Contact info]
miltownkid
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

Postby yonglan » 01 Jan 2005, 10:49

I use 'ah-dohk-ah', but that's just my own romanization. I use it as it seems to me to represent the sounds, though that sort of concept rarely occurs to the people who make romanization systems.

I was told that the front and back 'ah' were the same character. Can't remember what character 'dohk' is supposed to be.

Polite? About as polite as 'redskin' or 'yellow man' in my book, but we (the US) do have an NFL team named the former . . .
As the editors of the 1979 China edition of 辭源 put it 「由於我們水平不高, 累積的資料不多, 缺點錯誤一定不少. 希望讀者和傳家批評指教, 以便再作必要的訂正.」
yonglan
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby TaiOanKok » 02 Jan 2005, 05:04

Amoy-English Dictionary (Mary Knoll) says
A-tok-
TaiOanKok

Postby Southpaw » 02 Jan 2005, 13:38

I have seen it written as follows:

阿荳仔
阿豆仔
Southpaw
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby mod lang » 02 Jan 2005, 13:51

That k must obviously be silent or spoken on a frequency inaudible to foreigners' ears, because I've always heard it pronounced as "ah-doe-ah" (my phonetic English romanization; long o, 'a' as in 'father'). Where do Taiwanese pronounce it as "a-doK-a"? They certainly don't say it that way in the south of Taiwan. Can you explain what the purpose of having that silent K is in that romanization?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it."
-- George Bernard Shaw

Show me a cultural relativist at thirty thousand feet and I'll show you a hypocrite. Airplanes are built according to scientific principles and they work. They stay aloft and they get you to a chosen destination. Airplanes built to tribal or mythological specifications such as the dummy planes of the Cargo cults in jungle clearings or the bees-waxed wings of Icarus don't.
mod lang
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Tempo Gain » 02 Jan 2005, 21:39

mod lang wrote:That k must obviously be silent or spoken on a frequency inaudible to foreigners' ears, because I've always heard it pronounced as "ah-doe-ah" (my phonetic English romanization; long o, 'a' as in 'father'). Where do Taiwanese pronounce it as "a-doK-a"? They certainly don't say it that way in the south of Taiwan. Can you explain what the purpose of having that silent K is in that romanization?

The k is softened but it's still there as a kind of guttural click. i sometimes hear people say it more clearly.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Bu Lai En » 02 Jan 2005, 22:39

Yes, the 'k' in Taiwanese is a 'glottoral stop' (if that's the right terminolgy). It is more of an anticipated sound in the back of the throat.

Brian
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Learning Chinese