Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Suggestions For The Pets and Other Animals Forum

Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, ironlady

Forum rules
Let us know how you feel about the website and tell us how it could improve. You can also send e-mail to admin (at) forumosa.com if you have any problems accessing the forums

Suggestions For The Pets and Other Animals Forum

Postby bobepine » 30 May 2006, 15:29

Hello,

On the subject of Pets and Forumosa, I'd like to first express my deepest thanks, especially to Maoman and Gus but also to 914 who's been very consistent and compassionate when moderating the Forum. Forumosa has helped us a lot here in Kaohsiung and thanking you is the least we can do.

This said, I think the Pets Forum could be improved. I'm not sure how feasible my suggestion is because I know little about websites but here it is anyways.

I find that there are too many stickies and it's annoying having to scroll down every time I visit that Forum. I posted a couple threads that I would like to be made sticky as well but I never insisted because as I said, I find there are too many of them as it is. Mostly valuable information too so I'm not questioning the sticky status of these threads. I'm actually wondering if there would not be a way to make this information available in a different way.

I'm thinking maybe having a link instead, perhaps with a short text, explaining what the link includes. When you click on that link it could open a new window in which all the information from the sticky threads would be organised in different tabs with internal links to some threads and also off site links to a variety of other information sources and animal welfare dedicated websites.

While I think the Pets forum is great help for those who need info on a variety of subjects related to animals, I think that it's still essentially a discussion forum and that there is a need for something more oriented and concise when it comes to education and information.

It could be called Forumosa Pet Center or something like that. Like a follow up on various conversations and an amalgamation of all that valuable information that is found in countless forgotten threads.

Now that's my suggestion but I'm not exactly sure what it entails as far as setting it up and keeping something like that updated. I'm guessing it would be a whole lot of work. So you could say it's something on my long-winded wish list when it comes to helping animals.

I'd be willing to work on putting together a comprehensive draft that would amalgamate all the valuable information one can find in the pets forum (and more)and I would also be willing to keep it updated as new information is posted but I'm afraid someone else would have to take it from there because I don't have the computer skills to set it up.

I think it would be a fairly big project and not something that would happen overnight but I'm convinced that once it was set up, it would be a great addition to Forumosa, a great resource for pet owners and of course one more glimpse of hope for our furry friends who too often are left with no hope at all.

Any suggestions, comments are welcome.

Best,

bobepine
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Toasty » 30 May 2006, 15:32

I find that there are too many stickies and it's annoying having to scroll down every time I visit that Forum.

I agree with you there, bobepine. I'll probably have a look at that issue over the next little while.
I'm the toast with the most.
Toasty
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Re: Suggestions For The Pets and Other Animals Forum

Postby goose egg » 30 May 2006, 15:59

bobepine wrote:...I'm not exactly sure what it entails as far as setting it up and keeping something like that updated....

Actually, it doesn't require much at all. There is space below the forum title and above the discussion table that can be used as a jump list to specific threads and websites. We actively encourage our moderators to use this space however they feel it will support their forums (for example, look at the Vroom, Vroom! forum)

Here's what I suggest we do. Discuss with the moderator what would be appropriate for the Pets forum - you can do this via e-mail, phone, PM and in the Pets forum itself. If you use the forum or e-mail to come to decisions, you are better positioned to keep us (the admins) informed and involved in the conversation (well, maybe ;))

I'm excited to hear your ideas if they will recast the Pets forum into something that is more helpful/useful. Thank you for bringing this up!

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Postby goose egg » 30 May 2006, 16:09

Ideally, I'd like to see more of the reference type discussions being summarized on The Knowledge at Taiwanease.com

The area under the forum title could be used for this purpose - as a jump list of deep links to The Knowledge

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Postby elektronisk » 30 May 2006, 16:12

A little off topic but:

Travel used to have a lot of stickies but it is a little better now.

I really like how sandman keeps his forums/fora limited to one or two stickies. It makes it a lot more enjoyable and easier to read the new posts without having to scroll through half a page of stickies.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby miltownkid » 30 May 2006, 16:50

Someone could make one post called "Essential Pet Forum Threads" (or something like that, then write a little summary of what infomation each of the currently stickied threads have with a link. That thread could be stickied and the rest unstickied.

Problem solved (and easier managed.) New things could just get added to that thread. Then, as Gus pointed out, information could also get move over to the Taiwanease website.

There's me idea.
Available for Daoist Wizarding - [Contact info]
miltownkid
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

Postby elektronisk » 30 May 2006, 17:40

Miltownkid wrote:Someone could make one post called "Essential Pet Forum Threads" (or something like that, then write a little summary of what infomation each of the currently stickied threads have with a link. That thread could be stickied and the rest unstickied.

Problem solved (and easier managed.) New things could just get added to that thread. Then, as Gus pointed out, information could also get move over to the Taiwanease website.

There's me idea.

As they say on TV - Good Idea. :)
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
elektronisk

Postby bobepine » 31 May 2006, 00:27

miltownkid wrote:Someone could make one post called "Essential Pet Forum Threads" (or something like that, then write a little summary of what infomation each of the currently stickied threads have with a link. That thread could be stickied and the rest unstickied.

There's me idea.
Awesome idea to help reduce the amount of stickies. Geez, you really are smart. :wink:

The area under the forum title could be used for this purpose - as a jump list of deep links to The Knowledge
That also sounds excellent to me.

I'm all for it. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. :)

bobepine
bobepine

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Lo Bo To » 21 Jun 2006, 01:19

Do you have anymore links to organizations run by locals?

Specifically one that has pictures of dogs that need a home as I am looking for a second dog and am also curious as to what kind of action is being taken by people here.
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby bobepine » 21 Jun 2006, 09:30

Lo Bo To wrote:Do you have anymore links to organizations run by locals?

Specifically one that has pictures of dogs that need a home as I am looking for a second dog and am also curious as to what kind of action is being taken by people here.

Hi LBT,

I don't have anymore links at the moment, but I fully agree with you that it would be nice to have more because there are quite a few organisations run by locals who are dedicated to animal welfare. There are a whole lot of them in fact. Kaohsiung alone has quite a few more than what I posted, but I've only heard of them through a friend of a friend kind of scenario, and I do not have contacts for these people. There are also heaps of individuals who work on their own raising funds, which they often donate to well known organizations, and who also rehome one or two animals at the time, using the little resources available to them.

All of these individuals and organizations are faced with a few challenges. The first one is obviously that there are far too many animals out there needing help and few resources. More animals are abandoned daily then what all of us combined are able to rescue. Then there's a serious lack of education which is often seen as animal abuse, and neglect. And mostly, there is a big lack of support from the government; very little help and no funding.

That's why I agree with you and I'd like to support these folks as much as possible. The problem with this is mostly the language barrier. My spoken Chinese is really not great, and I can't read it so it makes it difficult to research this either IRL or on the Chinese web.

I invite anyone who knows about some of these organizations to please contact me, and I will add links for them.

I'm not sure what kind of dog you'd like to adopt, but kudos to you for not seeking an animal through breeders and pet shops. I know Animals Taiwan has quite a few dogs at the moment, and so do we here in Kaohsiung. Maybe you are looking for something specific. On this, if you are interested with one of our animals, I would be more than willing to hop on a train with one or two of our friends, and pay you a visit anywhere in Taiwan.

Best regards,

Chris
bobepine

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Feedback