Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

The Xingfu Amusement Park, then and now

Moderator: hansioux

The Xingfu Amusement Park, then and now

Postby Poagao » 01 Dec 2006, 12:03

I found some old brochures for the Xingfu Amusement Park down in Bitan (remember the big ferris wheel you could see from all over Taipei?) in an old abandoned police station, so I thought I'd take my camera and try to get present-day shots of all the pictures in the brochure for comparison. I put the results up on Flickr if you're interested. If anyone has any other old photos from when the park was operational, I'd love to see them, too.

I've been told there are other such picture sites up but I haven't been able to find them.
Poagao
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 01 Dec 2006, 13:35

That was really cool, lucky you found the brochures!
That could be material for an exhibit maybe put together a show called "Looking For Ghosts in Bitan" or something.

The upsidedown shot was cool too. I also liked the labeling you did with the cupid statue. My Taiwanese artist friend says she loves it too. Did you use a filter for the fountain shot?

Good idea! :bravo: :bravo:
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby irishstu » 01 Dec 2006, 13:48

Nice job, Poagao. I like it a lot.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Postby Rascal » 01 Dec 2006, 13:52

Nice shots and interesting to see the before and after. I have been up there once and wondered what it was at first (didn't take me that long to figure it out though ;) ). Really sad place nowadays.
Sign here
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby Tigerman » 01 Dec 2006, 13:53

Thanks much for sharing that, PG... very interesting. My favorite shot was the one of the top of the mountain before and now. Its not Angkor Wat, perhaps, but very interesting, nonetheless.

Great work.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Poagao » 01 Dec 2006, 14:28

Bubba 2 Guns wrote:That was really cool, lucky you found the brochures!
That could be material for an exhibit maybe put together a show called "Looking For Ghosts in Bitan" or something.

The upsidedown shot was cool too. I also liked the labeling you did with the cupid statue. My Taiwanese artist friend says she loves it too. Did you use a filter for the fountain shot?

Good idea! :bravo: :bravo:

Thanks, everyone. This kind of thing, the whole "before and after" really fascinates me, and the brochures were a real find. I'd like to find a book of photos of old Taipei and give it the same treatment, trying to match location, angle, focal length, etc. as much as possible.

I play around a little in Photoshop, mainly just adjusting color and contrast here and there, but that's about it.

As for the area, I like it much better the way it is now, almost fully reclaimed by nature. I think I would have hated living next to a crowded, noisy amusement park full of tourists. Its present state is far better, IMHO.
Poagao
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 01 Dec 2006, 17:01

I caught a big bamboo viper just this morning at that cupid statue. Watch yer feet.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby pubba » 01 Dec 2006, 20:39

This is a brilliant photo essay :) Thanks for sharing it Poagao

I find abandoned amusement parks visually stunning

Some similar pictures here at my friends multiply site

http://workerant.multiply.com/photos/photo/143/1
pubba
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby cfimages » 01 Dec 2006, 22:01

Great images.

Have you been out to the abandoned amusement park that's out near Yangming Shan? (At least I think it's Yangming Shan - I could be wrong). I shot a couple's wedding photos in the old amusement park, it's a great location.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby Poagao » 01 Dec 2006, 22:19

Thanks, guys. No, I haven't been to any others. How do you get there?
Poagao
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Culture & History