Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Moderator: Mick

Re: Amazon Kindle in Taiwan

Postby 2Enigma » 01 Jun 2013, 01:04

I just don't think Kindle is worth it anymore. I can get the same book on my droid, adjust the text and read just like I did on my now mothballed Kindle. Also, I prefer Audible.com but, admittedly, there are a number of titles that don't show up. I am currently listening to Steven Hawkin's books. WOW!
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

Postby Taiwan_Student » 02 Jun 2013, 00:35

2Enigma wrote:I just don't think Kindle is worth it anymore. I can get the same book on my droid, adjust the text and read just like I did on my now mothballed Kindle. Also, I prefer Audible.com but, admittedly, there are a number of titles that don't show up. I am currently listening to Steven Hawkin's books. WOW!

Here Here... except for Audible Book player on my Droid keeps crashing every ten minutes and the fact that I can't see my droid phone's screen outside or even in a vehicle these bright sunny days.

But you are right. I hardly touch my kindle if I'm in the house and am not listening to an audio book. If they fix the crashing problem, I really won't touch my kindle except while out in the field. I don't know why it crashes. I also have Overdrive, an audio book app from my public library that never crashes.
GIVE ME AN E-INK DROID>
Taiwan_Student
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

Postby Icon » 25 Jul 2013, 15:24

OK, my new smartphone/pad (Padfone Infinity with the added 10 inch shell pad) has this Amazon Kindle feature. I was browsing it last night, you can purchase books and magazines. Now, I am particularly interested in magazines. Has anyone compared the magazine prices/quality/features between Amazon Kindle and Zinio? I will be using a local credit card to purchase the stuff, no US no VPN no runaround, just simple DL the purchased stuff -at least I think it is simple.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby eggds » 28 Feb 2015, 17:48

I'm writing this on the behalf of my gf: Does anyone know where I can get hold of kindle books in traditional Chinese? I'm aware that you can get it on amazon.cn, but it's all in simplified Chinese.
eggds
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 02 Mar 2012

Postby MPenguin » 05 Mar 2015, 13:04

2Enigma wrote:I just don't think Kindle is worth it anymore. I can get the same book on my droid, adjust the text and read just like I did on my now mothballed Kindle. Also, I prefer Audible.com but, admittedly, there are a number of titles that don't show up. I am currently listening to Steven Hawkin's books. WOW!

A tablet is definitely nice (I don't have one but would like one for other reasons), but that kind of defeats the point of the Kindle.

I don't want to stare at a tablet or computer monitor for hours. It hurts my eyes. I'm not as young as I used to be, my eyes dry out, and they get sore.
Kindles use e-ink/e-paper. It's the same as starting at a paper book. It doesn't hurt my eyes. Even the backlit Paperwhite is the same. You can read it from any angle, still get audiobooks, and you can look at it for hours because it's "natural", unlike an LED screen.

For a reader like me, it's perfect. Still rockin' a Kindle Keyboard keyboard. May upgrade to a Paperwhite/Voyager in the future, but I'm in no rush.
MPenguin
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Poagao » 06 Mar 2015, 00:32

Anyone know of a shop in Taiwan that sells Kindle Voyages? I'd like to at least get a look at one, and amazon won't ship them here.
Poagao
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Abacus » 06 Mar 2015, 07:32

Reasons to buy a Kindle:

It's not a backlit screen and is much better for you than a smartphone/tablet.
Significantly longer battery life although that's not important if you only use it at home.

But for an occasional reader a smartphone/tablet will do fine.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby kelake » 14 Jun 2016, 10:47

I guess this is old news but since Amazon no longer ships Kindles to Taiwan (I had 2 shipped here previously) what other similar options exist in Taiwan? We have a couple of Kobos but they don't list Taiwan as having retailers. I don't want my kids reading from a smartphone or iPad like I see so many people doing here.
--
kelake
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 1998

Postby cfimages » 14 Jun 2016, 11:03

kelake wrote:I guess this is old news but since Amazon no longer ships Kindles to Taiwan (I had 2 shipped here previously) what other similar options exist in Taiwan? We have a couple of Kobos but they don't list Taiwan as having retailers. I don't want my kids reading from a smartphone or iPad like I see so many people doing here.

Apparently they do, but you've got to go to a different section. You've specifically got to go to the International Shipping section and buy it from there, not the regular section.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... rds=kindle

I haven't tried it however. A friend gave me the link when I mentioned the same shipping issue but I ended up buying one in a store when I was in Japan a few weeks ago so didn't need to test it.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby lostinasia » 14 Jun 2016, 11:16

kelake wrote:I guess this is old news but since Amazon no longer ships Kindles to Taiwan (I had 2 shipped here previously) what other similar options exist in Taiwan? We have a couple of Kobos but they don't list Taiwan as having retailers. I don't want my kids reading from a smartphone or iPad like I see so many people doing here.

I'm not sure when that changed, but it's (worrying!) news to me - I had my first Kindle shipped here without any issues, but that was a number of years ago; I bought my second one when I was in Canada last summer, but I think that was just to save a few bucks on shipping.

I know when I bought a Paperwhite last summer, not all of the Kindles could be shipped internationally, so maybe other Kindle versions can be shipped to Taiwan - but I just had a look through amazon.com and I'm getting "does not ship to New Taipei City, Taiwan; Republic of China" for all of them.

My next step would be messing around with amazon.cn and see if it's more useful.

Oh, ninja'd by cfimages. OK, here's the link for the Paperwhite as listed on the page cfimages links to: that seems to work OK. No idea how we're suppose to find that unless someone gives us a link; it certainly wasn't easy to find from the normal Amazon Kindle pages.
lostinasia
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Technology